- Driver’s License, Passport, SSN, other IDs - To process ID cards or documents, you must provide documentation proving your residential or physical address. After processing, your SSN card, driver’s license, and passport will be sent to the mailing address you used.
- Job Applications - When you apply for a job, you provide an address where employers can reach you, aside from phone or email. Employers may still opt to send documents like job offers or contracts to this address. They also use your physical mailing address to complete payroll documents, verify your identity, and run background checks.
Financial Transactions - Many significant bank transactions require filling out forms that ask for a physical mailing address. While you can sometimes use a P.O. Box as a mailing address, you will still need a physical address when you open a bank account.
When you apply for a credit card, you’ll need to provide an address to which your bills will be mailed. Whether you are applying for a credit card for personal use or your business, a physical address is a credit card application essential.
Health Insurance Coverage - When you apply for health insurance, you will fill out a form that asks for your home address. You will then send a separate document proving that you live at that address.
Typically, you can only get insurance in the state where you reside, but it’s also possible to get multi-state coverage. In either case, the insurance provider will ask for proof of residence.
Traveling - You must show proof of residence when applying for a visa. But apart from paperwork, a mailing address also has practical purposes when you travel.
You need a physical address to receive your correspondence when you travel, especially if you will be away for at least several months. It can be cumbersome to inform your family, friends, work, the government, or bank about your new address whenever you fly off to a new location, especially if you travel frequently.
It is much better to have a single address where the post office or carriers can deliver mail and packages. This way, you’ll be genuinely location-independent and be free to hop from one continent to another.
- Voting - When registering to vote, you typically need proof of residence. Some states accept business or temporary addresses for voter registration, but you still need to prove that you live in the state where you want to vote.
- Civic Duties - When you are called for jury duty, you will receive the summons via your mailing address. Failure to respond to the summons can lead to a fine of $1,500, incarceration of 5 days, or both.
- Government Benefits - Even if you receive your benefits by direct deposit, the government will still need your physical mailing address to send you correspondence and other notices.
- Business Registration - You must provide a physical address when registering and running your business, even if your business is entirely online. Most states do not accept P.O. Boxes for registering your business; you need a real street address. To fulfill this business requirement, entrepreneurs often resort to using their home addresses. If budget allows, they rent a space and use its address for business purposes.
Business Operations - Running a business requires a physical address for smoother operations. You will need a mailing address when you apply for a business loan, buy a website domain, transact with suppliers, and even print business cards.
You need a physical mailing address to receive contracts, business mail, bills, statements, and other vital documents for your business. If you have physical products, you also need them for returns or consolidating supplies.
- Remote Mail Access - It lets you know when a postal mail or package has arrived for you, no matter where you are.
- Remote Mail Management - It lets you manage your postal mail via an app on your phone or a web portal on your computer or laptop.
- Mail Action Requests - You can request to have your mail items opened and scanned, forwarded to another location, shredded, and recycled. You can also schedule pick-ups.
- Digital File Storage - It is a digital storage of your correspondence. You can access your scanned mail for as long as your Anytime Mailbox account is active.