Finding the perfect coworking space can be a game-changer, especially if you’re one of the many people who work remotely or run a small business. But with so many coworking spaces available, how do you choose the right one for you or your team?
Coworking spaces offer a collaborative and professional environment with all the resources you need to be productive and successful.
Whether you’re a freelancer, an entrepreneur, or a remote worker, a coworking space can give you access to a supportive community, networking opportunities, and amenities such as high-speed internet, meeting rooms, and printing services.
In this blog, we’ll guide you through the essential elements to consider when selecting a coworking space—from location and cost to atmosphere and amenities.
A coworking space is a shared workspace where professionals from different industries come together to work independently or collaboratively.
It’s a vibrant community where you can network with like-minded individuals and foster new business opportunities. Coworking spaces offer a range of amenities and a flexible working environment that can boost your productivity and work-life balance.
- Comfortable workstations and meeting rooms.
- High-speed internet and printing facilities.
- Kitchen areas are stocked with coffee, refreshments, and snacks.
To help you choose the right space for you or your team, remember the following questions when you go out “shopping.” Ergonomic chairs, desks, and meeting rooms matter, of course, but consider elements beyond the basics.
Use the guide below to help you make an informed decision.
- Can you choose between different coworking membership plans, such as part-time or full-time memberships?
- Does the space allow you to scale up or down your membership as your business or needs evolve?
- Does the space offer pay-as-you-go or walk-in options? Are there hot desking plans or shared desks?
While coworking spaces offer great value, it’s essential to understand the pricing structure and any additional costs involved.
Some spaces may charge extra fees for services like mail handling and forwarding, printing, or conference room bookings. Carefully review the membership agreement and ask about hidden costs to ensure you clearly understand what you’re paying for.
Take into account the location of the coworking space in relation to your home, clients, and other services.
- Is it easily accessible by public transportation?
- Is there ample parking available if you prefer to commute by car?
- Proximity to cafes, restaurants, banks, shops, and other conveniences can also be a bonus.
Look for a coworking space offering specific amenities you need to thrive.
A well-equipped space will ensure you have everything you require to work efficiently and comfortably. But beyond ergonomic chairs, desks, and a stocked pantry, consider amenities that can help you achieve your goals or fit your idea of a perfect workplace arrangement.
- Does the space offer opportunities for networking like entrepreneurship mentorship, cultural events, and enrichment workshops?
- Do you need special tools and equipment like large format printers, a shipping kiosk, or a fully-equipped photo or video studio? Do you need a nap room, silent pods, or access to a gym?
- Do they offer a virtual mailbox service that will allow you to set up a virtual office and help boost your freelancing career or small business?
- A reliable and fast internet connection is a must in the digital age. Test the internet speed at the coworking space during your visit or inquire about the speed from the management.
- A stable, high-speed internet connection will enable you to seamlessly carry out your online tasks and collaborate with remote team members.
- While coworking spaces foster collaboration, it’s also essential to have access to private spaces when needed.
- Check if the coworking space provides private offices, phone booths, or designated quiet areas where you can focus on sensitive projects or make important phone calls without distractions.
- Your peace of mind is crucial when it comes to the security of your belongings and sensitive data. Your focus should be on work, not worrying about the safety of your equipment or confidential information.
- If you will be using the coworking space regularly, inquire if they have lockers where you can leave your things overnight. You don’t want to lug your things into the coworking space daily.
- Ensure that the coworking space has appropriate security measures in place, such as CCTV surveillance and secure access controls.
- Data security is essential when you work in a public place like a coworking space. Using public WiFi increases the risk of identity theft, after all. Ensure that the space offers robust security at this level, too.
- Some coworking spaces have private networks for long-term members or offer temporary passwords to hot desking clients.
- The atmosphere and office environment significantly affect your productivity and overall well-being.
- Is it a bustling and energetic environment, or does it lean towards a quieter and more focused atmosphere? Choose a space that resonates with your work style and your goals.
The right coworking space can be a catalyst for growth, productivity, and meaningful connections.
So, what are you waiting for? Step out of the isolation of your home office or the noise of crowded cafes and explore the world of coworking spaces. Unleash your productivity, connect with a vibrant community, and make work a truly enjoyable experience.
Choose wisely and embark on a new chapter of success and growth on your professional journey.
Your dream workspace awaits.